Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2024

bench update 06 April 2024

Today I learned that my approach to the Trojan/Mycenaean foot is wrong, at least as far as flesh goes. 

It was time to do the footwear and inner (or reverse side) shields. After studying art, I was disappointed to learn that really, nothing fancy seems required. I suspect that rich civilizations like these featured fancy boots, but artwork says "brown."

I chose simple Vallejo saddle brown, and realized this approach should have covered the entire legs and arms. Later I could have picked out detail with Elf Skin or the like. 

So if you are thinking of doing the same project, I suggest just choose a brown base - I think anything from burnt sienna to mid brown - for any exposed flesh/Hair area plus any wood, leather or bronze near it, then use highlights to show what the actual material is. If I had discovered a spray paint that didn't react to the plastic, that would have been ideal!

Speaking of footwear, I get the impression that Caesar's sculptor wanted to depict those clunky, strap-over greaves. I'll need to do a bit more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment